This hard-hitting presentation teaches the young people about local gangs, the make up of a gang member, female sexual exploitation, grooming and initiation into gangs and the dangers of drugs.
- The dangers of street gangs and serious youth violence and how it affects them and their families.
- Grooming - the ways in which gang members can attract young people using different mediums and language and how to recognise it.
- Child and female sexual exploitation – the ways in which gang related manipulation of young people both boys and girls occurs for criminal purposes. For example carrying drugs, carrying weapons etc.
- Myths surrounding gangs and street culture – explores the misconceptions about the glamour and appeal of gang life and highlights the starkly different reality.
The presentation aims to:
- To build resilience and raise awareness around the dangers of gang culture.
- Provide a greater understanding of the myths surrounding gang culture.
- Give a greater understanding of the nature of peer groups which are characterised by violence.
- Illustrate the impact of gangs in their communities.
- Offer opportunities for young people to confide in ex-gang members